Saturday, August 22, 2009

what I stumbled across...interesting/funny!

HOW YOU’RE CARRYING

“Everyone says I seem to be carrying small and low for the eighth month. Could it be that my baby isn’t growing properly?”

It would be a good idea to make earplugs and blinders a part of every pregnant woman’s maternity wardrobe. Wearing them for nine months would enable her to avoid the worry generated by the misguided commentary and advice of relatives and friends-even strangers-and prevent invidious comparisons of her belly to those women who are larger, smaller, lower, or higher.

Just as no two prepregnant figures are proportioned in precisely the same fashion, no two pregnant silhouettes are identical. How you carry, both in size and shape, is dependent on whether you started out tall or short, thin or not-so-thin, petite or voluptuous. And it is seldom an indication of the size of the baby you’re carrying. A petite woman carrying low and small may give birth to a larger infant than a bigger-boned woman carrying high and wide.

The only accurate assessments of your baby’s progress and well-being are likely to come from your practitioner. When you’re not in his or her office, keep earplugs in and your blinders on-and you’ll have a lot less to worry about.


These are just three of the very different ways that a woman may carry near the end of her eigth month. The variations are even greater than before. Depending on the size and position of your baby, as well as your own size and weight gain, you may be carrying higher, lower, bigger, smaller, wider, or more compactly.

Eisenberg, Arlene, Murkoff, Heidi E., Hathway, Sandee E. (B.S.N). What to Expect When You're Expecting, New York City, Workman Publishing, 1991

I read this a few days ago in the book, What to Expect When You're Expecting. I thought this part was SO interesting and humerous! I have gotton SO many different comments saying I am SO tiny..and is everything okay, and are you eating enough, and every other comment under the sun!! When I stumbled accross this, I figured I would make a post about it on my blog...it is very, I guess encouraging to hear...and for ALL you expecting ladies...this is for you!

P.S.~Baby and I are doing COMPLETELY GREAT, And NO, I was NOT worried that my baby was not growing properly or ANYTHING else l.ike that!! I also asked Christopher how I was carrying, and he said, "Definently like the one on the far right!" I am carrying "low"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear, don't ever let anyone else be the "Pro" on what you should look like! You have gained exactly what you should, your baby looks great!! You look awesome! Everyone always seems to be an expert and they even make comments to me, on my TENTH pregnancy!! So, it doesn't matter if you're on your first or your tenth, everyone always "knows" better than you!
;-) Don't let people make you second guess how you and your baby are doing!! I can't wait for these babies to get here! We are on the homeward stretch!! I have 5 weeks until "d"day and you are just 3 weeks beyond that!! Yay! Love ya girl, see ya tomorrow!

~Emily

Jeanné said...

oo.. i was not second guessing anything...i just stumbled across this in my book and thought it was so interesting!! it is kind of funny how people "think" they are always right..!! I thought about you while reading this..bc people look at you then they look at me...and they are like wow...you are too tiny..!! but you have had 10 and i have had 1!

funny how people are =] i think it is funny how people try and still give you advice..!! lol

yes, we are almost there =] =] =]
can not believe it..!!