Saturday, August 20, 2011

Input please.?!

I would like to know what Home school Curriculum you use & why? Details. I have asked this question before but hardly got any responses. I appreciate any comments regarding the questions above! Thank you!!!

1 comment:

Garth and Becky said...

We use BJU Press and love it. I teach my children through K5 (until they're reading well) and then switch them to DVDs so that I can have more time with the younger ones. Here's a few reasons why we use BJU Press.

1) It is sound Biblically and has no error or philosophies that are against Scripture.

2) It is excellent academically. My children score really high on the national achievement tests at the end of the year because of the thoroughness of the curriculum.

3) It is attractive to my children. There is color in the books, not tons of constantly repetitive work, fun ways to teach different things, etc.

4) It is complete. BJU Press offers everything from Bible to Math to Spelling to Reading to English...all in one curriculum. That way things overlap in their subject areas to reinforce concepts. Also I know they are getting everything they need (not always the case in a more classical approach).

5) The DVDs are geared to home educators. BJU Press uses puppets, acting, tons of visual aids, story telling, etc. to teach concepts. It is not simply a video tape of a classroom learning. It's taped in a studio with the teacher talking specifically to the home-educated student. The teachers have lots of energy and making learning fun.


Hope that helps! :) Sorry if this more information that you wanted. I have my degree in education, so I'm just a little passionate about it. :)